The terms telemedicine, telehealth and e-health, are used to refer to the use of digital technology in providing medical care to patients. Even though the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, there are some essential differences between these three concepts. To make the most of these advanced facilities, one must be able to compare between telehealth vs telemedicine, as well as differentiate them with e-Health. The three concepts have thus been elucidated below for an easier understanding of their differences.
The new-age practice of delivering health care to patients remotely via the use of information and communication technology is known as telemedicine. The term also means healing from a distance. Earlier, medical care under this remote health care mechanism was provided to patients via a phone call.
However, with widespread access to the internet, doctors use digital technology such as audio and video calls to provide medical consultation. Individuals can also easily opt for this service with the aid of Bajaj Finserv Digital Health EMI Network Card.
The three main types under the remote healthcare technology include –
- Store and forward – In this type of practice, the patient or physician collects medical information such as pathology reports, past illnesses, X-Ray reports etc. from another physician for diagnosis by accessing it digitally.
- Remote monitoring – The patient’s medical status is monitored in real time outside of a clinical environment through digital technology. Nowadays, wearable gadgets and mobile applications are also used to keep track of a patient’s condition.
- Real-time interaction – In this situation, the patients have a two-way discussion with their medical care provider in real time through video or audio call. This form of telemedicine is the most well-known among all three.
Telemedicine also has several advantages over traditional medical care. For instance, it is cost-effective, reduces waiting time, and improves transparency between doctor and patient/ patient engagement. Now, take a detailed look at telehealth for a better comparison between telehealth vs telemedicine.
Telehealth is a broad concept that includes the use of information technology to avail medical care, health education, administrative, and clinical service to improve the quality of patient care over a long distance. The concept of telemedicine falls within telehealth.
The two terms are often used interchangeably while talking about the use of digital technology to promote health care in rural and remote areas. However, while the former refers explicitly to clinical health care via information communication technology, the latter encompasses both clinical and non-clinical medical service. Thus, the demarcation of telehealth vs telemedicine is minute but essential for overall health care administered remotely.
Examples of telehealth include –
- Medical care provider training
- Medical research and education
- Administrative meetings
- Improvement in public health
- Uploading medical history and other information such as pathology and X-ray reports online for easy access by healthcare providers
- Ordering medicines and other health equipment online
Telehealth also aims to make health care more efficient and accessible to individuals living in rural and remote areas. With this understanding of telehealth vs telemedicine, take a look at what e-Health comprises.
e-Health refers to the use of the internet and other means of information and communication technology to provide advanced health care. Unlike telehealth and telemedicine, it is not only focused on delivering long-distance health care but also aims to increase the quality of overall health care. The various aspects of e-Health are as follows –
- Making health care accessible to all
- Ethical reforms in health care
- Enabling an efficient exchange of information between physicians and/or health care facilities
- Skill enhancement of medical care providers through online resources
- Encouragement for a more transparent relationship between doctor and patient
- Evidence-based medical care for improved effectiveness
Additionally, along with understanding the telehealth vs telemedicine demarcation, it is also essential to understand that both fall within the scope of e-Health.
Even though all three concepts aim to make healthcare more accessible and cost-effective, remote healthcare service is still a fairly new concept in India. Furthermore, the costs involved in installing digital technology as well as in availing e-Health services are also significant.
However, availing a Bajaj Finserv Digital Health EMI Network Card, one can easily take care of the costs involved in availing these services.
Advantages of health card
One can avail the following benefits from a health card –
- Online application – One can easily apply for a health card online by visiting the official web portal and clicking on the tab ‘Get It Now’. Also, the card comes with quick approval, making it a suitable financing tool for medical emergencies.
- High pre-approved limit – Existing customers can avail the card with a pre-approved limit of up to Rs.4 lakh for easy financing of medical bills.
- Affordable fees – One can easily opt for the health card by paying a nominal amount of Rs.707. The card is instantly activated after the payment of the fee, so applicants do not have to go through a lengthy processing period.
- Additional offers – The health card also provides an insurance plan for personal accidents covering expenses up to Rs.1 lakh. Cardholders can also avail discounts and offers on availing treatment and buying medicine from partner diagnostic centres, clinics, and medical stores.
Further, with card applicability across 5,500 plus partner stores in more than 1,000 Indian cities, it is also easy to locate a healthcare facility in your vicinity. Avail the card to pay for the medical expenses of all family members, including parents, children, spouse, and siblings.
An individual can thus get diagnosed through any e-Health service like telemedicine, and obtain further medical treatment if needed with the help of a health card. They can easily repay the loan availed for their medical bills by converting it into affordable EMIs payable over a tenure of 24 months.